burn fingers meaning
- to bear an unpleasant result of an action that has been taken in the past
- usually referred to the loss of money
- is also used as a forewarning by someone who has experienced the same in the past
- injury that is caused due to meddling
- The minister was warned not to venture into this sort of a contract. If he wants to burn his fingers in spite of that then he may continue.
- When the share market crashed his fingers were burnt from all the investments that he had made.
- The man has no experience in art and manages to burn his fingers through the purchase of fakes instead of the originals.
- Get rich quick schemes are usually meant to burn the fingers of the investors, some more than the others.
- She has burnt her fingers doing this work earlier and is hence extremely cautious of taking up new assignments. She always clarifies her terms and conditions before starting now.
- Many unemployed youths burn their fingers when they are duped under a bushel.
The origin is a speculation of the fire fighters getting burnt in order to save people from fires. Although no known literary source could be traced to get the exact origin.
- to get your fingers burnt
Link to this page: