a tall poppy
- a privileged or distinguished person.
- a person who has attained distinction from the masses by being prosperous, wealthy, or popular
- Recently a party was hosted in the city where all the tall poppies were invited to raise charity for clean shelters in suburbs.
- During an award show all the tall poppies were invited on stage to present the star of the millennium award.
- I have interviewed many tall poppies & have found that most of them believe in philanthropy thus changing my belief about them.
- If you want to be a tall poppy work with your purpose & you shall achieve what you want.
Tarquin, the Roman king was reputed to have the heads of poppies removed as a ghastly graphic demonstration of the means in which the significant people of a city held captive should be treated. Recently, the term tall poppy syndrome has also developed, referring to a social phenomenon in which people of genuine advantage i.e wealthy, prosperous, socially recognized people are hated, attacked, pulled down, or criticized because their talents or achievements bring them above or make them distinct them from their fellows in the same manner as being envious of one’s fellows.
Link to this page: